8/24/08

Kitty Mamma

Mamma Kitty
1995 ish - August 24, 2008
I can't remember holding her at all in the last couple of weeks and I feel sad. This miracle of miracles picture of my darling lil' sis Heather holding Mamma is her last snuggle and her last picture. She was at the very least 10 years old. She lived with us for the last 8 years. We first met Mamma when Stuarts guardian older stepbrother Rico - disappeared after a heavy storm. Stuart, the runt of the litter, was sad and displaced, and one day just started hanging out with Mamma. It was wierd. Cats are so territorial and from what we could tell Stuart and Mamma had no relation to each other and no reason to even be aware of each others existence, but for whatever reason they became an inseparable pair. It didn't seem like a mating thing, they just took care of each other.Mamma seemed small, short, slow and fat - until she began to bring us presents... and then we realized underneath all that fluff that she was a ferocious, fast and stealthy. She is the only cat to ever have brought us a squirrel!
The absolute BEST of Mamma was when she and Stuart would be apart. Whether they slept under separate beds or went out on the prowl in opposite directions - their reunion was one for the books....

The slow motion running to each other (really) a nose to nose sniff, then they would rub up against each other until they were side by side, and then they would walk together, touching the whole way, tails in the air waving back and forth in unison - very Lady and the Tramp Siamese Cat-ish.

It took her several years before we ever heard her purr, and even longer to stop shaking when we tried to hold her. BUT, she did not have any trouble chewing us out in her little girl meow if we didn't pet her while she ate!

We will miss how cute she is when we have to shave her to the skin - underneath all the fluff she was the size of a kitten. We will miss the his and hers chairs she and Stuart claimed as their own. We will miss her sweet and beautiful face.
We will miss the presents she brings home to us and to Stuart (NOT!).

She died in her box in the basement snuggled in a a fluffy pink sleeping bag. It doesn't appear that it was a peaceful passing because of the position of her body & head & eyes, it was difficult the way we found her.

The most difficult part of all will be what comes next... telling Jorji & Joe in Kansas City. Worse, or better??? Since we will be out there this coming weekend - I can tell them in person?!?!!! I have always been afraid for this day. Jorji and Joe cared for Mamma long before we ever came around. They named her & loved her. They have been foster parents to many, many kitties just as we have - but I know that she was special to them.

Bless you sweet Mamma Kitty. May your reunion on the other side be grand. We know absolutely nothing about your family Mamma, but I know that you must have been loved before we knew you. Go in peace pretty girl.

2 comments:

  1. Awww. How sad. Poor Stuart will be lonely. I Remember just talking about her last weekend when she walked by me and I was trying to pet her and I stated about how tiny she is and that she's like a little kitten still, so cute. Remember that? That's hard to just find her like that. I think Alyssa understands pretty well, I told her and she got really sad but said, her life is gone from her now and her spirit went up to heaven. i'm sorry Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so sorry. my eyes got teary when mom told me...it was very special to hold her, im glad i did.

    ReplyDelete

Followers