Just a few random pictures and thoughts – things we learned and funny stories to get our Trip Journal started - while I continue to sort through the hundreds of pictures and stories!
Learning to Catch
When Mom has to throw things to you from the front seat – and she won’t help you if you drop it – you learn how to catch!
Road Trip Food
Beef Jerky, Pringles, Oranges, Water, Water and more Water, V8 juice, Bug Juice, Sour Candies (that would be Izzy) and our family staples: Chocolate, Cheese and Turkey Pepperoni
Wish I had the Grabber
I got this great little grabber thing when I was pregnant with Izzy my back was hurting and I couldn’t bend anymore – it sure would come in handy for the things I can’t reach or the kids that need a quick reality check! We learned that it is useful with relocating snakes too!!!
Head Phones
The girls each received a set of headphones for the trip to use with their DVD players and handheld games. It took some work to get Alex adjusted to them – she does have a VERY small head. But Izzy on the other hand was SINGING, LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY and being just downright GOOFY! Kinda like when the cats hide from us by sticking their heads under the bed but leave their bums sticking out – she had no idea that even though she couldn’t hear us – we could still hear her!
Potty Chair Gratitude
For all those closed – or demolished – Rest Stops with signs that say Next Rest Area 73 miles - Hey Alex can you hold it for 73 miles? No way!!!!! Bring the potty chair!
- line the bowl with a large plastic bag (free of holes!!!!)
- set a small pile of napkins inside fore absorbency
- set the seat on top
- close the lid and wait for nature to call.
- Later, after business has been finished, add a few more napkins or random trash for absorbency if needed
- if it is smelly cover it with scented baby wipes.
- Tie it up. Double bag it if needed.
- Set it up to be ready for the next time nature calls.
- Toss it when you finally reach the next rest stop.
Weird
That I can blog and Edit pictures while driving – but reading makes me sick ?!?!?!?
Music
We recommend CD’s that are NOT scratched – and that have more than one good song – for starters!
We also do NOT recommend books on CD with multiple 20 min long love scenes that you have to skip through to keep the blushing, swerving etc. to a minimum.
Last time we did this we had Harry Potter – good ol’ Harry – should stuck with what we know!
AND yes I do love : The Dixie Chicks, the Violent Femmes, Josh Groban, and Liz Phair
and no I do NOT like : Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, most anything with Electric Guitar or guys that are singing like they are getting electrocuted - or most anything from the 80’s (even though I did at one time own most of those on cassette tape)
And this one’s for you Greg : I do love to belt it out in the car! I always think we should hold choir practice in the car – I would be so much louder and confident :)
Literacy
Izzy bellows from the backseat : What City are we in?
Mom: I’m not really sure
Izzy: Can’t you read signs ?
Dirty Jobs
Upon encountering the lovely smell of a skunk having done it’s business we began a lively discussion of why skunks spray and what you do about it if you are a victim.
After a moment of thought Isabel suggested we use a super soaker to spray the skunk with Tomato juice to get rid of the stink in the first place.
Healthy Living
We let the girls the girls each hold their own box of snack cereal to munch while we drove. Alex – Hannah Montana Izzy – Fruit Loops w/ Marshmallows. They were sullen –sleepy – lethargic – anything to keep them from fighting, anything to keep Mom out of the back seat! 10 minutes later they were singing their own versions of Hannah Montana songs at the top of their lungs and giggling hysterically! Blame it on the Carb Surge, refined sugars and food dyes!
Love it! Aren't road trips the best! That is awesome about the makeshift potty! Very inventive! Glad you guys are back! We missed ya.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great post! I love it!
ReplyDelete