Well from what I have researched I am gathering that it is a
Magnolia Warbler.
Kauffman's illustrations strongly agree with specifically an immature male Magnolia
While Petersons illustrations are darker and don't note the white spots on the tail.
Sibley's is missing - darn it!
But other resources online have lead me to think it is a Magnolia.
Most everyone who responded to my blog or my email to the listserve also think it is a Magnolia Warbler.
There have been 2 alternate suggestions of a Female Am Redstart or a Prairie Warbler.
The bird I see with a 2nd close resemblance is Kirtlands Warbler - which is highly unlikely due to frequency of occurence anywhere and location.
Thank You all for your input.
--------------------------------------------
Discovered by my daughters
on my neighbors front door mat.
9-8-09
4:30pm
O'Fallon, MO 63368
Temp: approx 82
Lightly Cloudy & Humid
Very Light Wind
No Precip
Working now on identification
White Wing Bars - Thin Pointed Bill - Streaked yellow chest - white spots on tail feathers - yellow rump (is there anything w/ a yellow rump besides a YRW/ Magnolia?) Olive colored head, back and wings, Some indication of a possible white eye ring, need to examine closer.on my neighbors front door mat.
9-8-09
4:30pm
O'Fallon, MO 63368
Temp: approx 82
Lightly Cloudy & Humid
Very Light Wind
No Precip
Working now on identification

I'm no expert but I will go with a Magnolia Warbler. Adult nonbreeding. I am thinking underside of tail, wingbars and black striping along body. Let me know what you decide.
ReplyDeleteI would go with Prairie Warbler
ReplyDeleteAfter a quick look at my Dunn/Garrett Guide to the Warblers I am having to agree with the above anonymous poster. My bad!
ReplyDeleteAfter a quick look at my Dunn/Garrett Guide to the Warblers I am having to agree with the above anonymous poster. My bad!
ReplyDelete