5/4/09

The Utah Experience

I Got off the plane cracking jokes -I'm not usually a comedian but my family really brings it out it me. Maybe it's because they are the only people that laugh at my jokes. Or maybe they are the only ones I feel comfortable enough with to be myself. We stopped at Baskin Robbins to enjoy their special....
31 cent scoops
I always get Daiquiri Ice and Rocky Road.
I started getting Daiquiri Ice when I was a little girl and My Grandmother Stella Hastings would take us there.

tennis ball jokes
So we are driving down the road when suddenly Mike slams on the brakes and pulls a U-y right in the middle of the street proclaiming that he saw something that Buddy wants.
Finally the rest of us spot the bright tennis balls sprinkled along either side of the road. After another U-y he gets us in position and he and I eject from our seats in the front - sprinting through sprinklers along the side walk to retrieve the balls and get out of the way of traffic.
As I get back in the car I am holding myself tightly and declare "it is hard work running with these boobs!" JUST AS Heather who has been watching the whole process is wondering "are they new?" "Huh? My Boobs?" I say. Everyone in the car then erupts into hysterical fits of laughter and tears as I realize that she meant the tennis balls.

BYU Women's Conference 2009
with my Mom and 2 of my sisters
beautiful campus
walking
back and forth across a huge campus
is definitely something to be done when you are very young.
By the end of the 1st day I was ready to crawl back to the car.
Walked it out the second day and did much better.
Came home and threw out my crappy shoes!
ducklings
There were 3 duck families in the cutest little pond with a waterfall.
We had so much fun watching them.

The Marriot Center
was sorta designed for midgets or regular size people who like to eat their knees,
anyone who is NOT afraid of heights and definitely for A LOT of people!

Slumber Party
The 4 of us girls ages 34 -32- 30 and 14
all shared a room at Mom & Dad's
We stayed up until 3/4 am Utah time and it was fun!

Temple Celebration
My little sister Heather gets to dance at the Temple Celebration along with 20,000 other youth. Her section is doing the Charleston, wearing flapper dresses etc.... It looked so fun I just wanted to kick off my shoes and join in!
Mike felt Shunned
Poor Mike, feeling shunned by his sisters and the overwhelming presence of estrogen, decided to stay out until 5 am instead of hanging out with us! We contemplated doing his makeup, tp-ing his room, filling his hand with shaving cream etc. But I guess we were all kinda chicken -
SO YOU LUCKED OUT THIS TIME LIL BROTHER!!!

Visiting Baby K
and seeing my brother as a Daddy.

Dan's Surprise
Dad knew that us girls were coming out for Women's Conference - so there was no reason to expect Dan! Dan showed up around 3:00 on Saturday - we all ran to hug him quietly but evidently made enough noise to get my dad to come down stairs to see what was going on. We hid Dan in a hall and Dad walked right past him. When he finally noticed Dan his face was truly priceless! We had so many things going on that we did well at keeping him off the trail of the party.


The Surprise Party


Story Time
We had a wonderful time sharing memories of my Dad. I learned a few new things too. Liz created an amazing video with pictures of my Dad as a child, of his family, his mission, his wedding, and finally his family and grandchildren today. It was so awesome -GO LIZ!!!!


Temple Square
Since our flights left smack in the middle of church we decided to spend our last hour together on Temple Square. It is so awesome to get to enjoy the spring trees and flowers - again. The blooms in Missouri have been faded for a little while. But in Utah they are in full swing - and the flowers at the Temple are unrivaled.

My Drivers Licence
So - as we get through security I fold my drivers licence up carefully inside my boarding pass and stick it in my pocket. Why I did this I don't know, because I never use pockets - I usually don't have pockets. By the time we made it down the terminal, to the ladies room, the newsstand, the food court and to the gate - it was gone. We searched our bags inside out 3 times. Patted me down head to toe & pockets. I even turned around and asked if anything was hanging from me. It was nowhere!!! Feeling dumb and worried - I prayed that I would find it but at the very least that no one else would find it that would use it for evil. We had a nice flight - Lisa and I - talked and laughed a lot - it was GREAT! and finally we were home. I stood to prepare to exit the plane when - kerplatt. There it was. My drivers licence still folded up inside my boarding pass - laying on the floor where it had just fallen from WHO KNOWS WHERE!!!! Lisa said God must have tossed it down to me from heaven. Seriously, where the heck else could it have come from! WIERD! But, can you say relieved!

Food Storage at Walmart
Last but not least is my wa wa little tantrum about Utahan's getting to by food storage right from the shelves at Walmart!!! Not just your standard fare either! Dried pineapple, Strawberry Banana Flakes, Potato Pearls that the rest of us can't even get anymore, Taco flavored TVP, you name it right in the center aisles! Here we have to have an appointment to go with our Stake or Ward - can it ourselves and then haul it all home. No buying a can at a time. NO FAIR!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good trip! Sounds like a lot of fun. I can't wait to get home and chat about everything I have missed.

    ReplyDelete

Followers