2/6/12

Writing Prompt #6 - Tell us about your grandparents

Monday, February 6, 2012
Tell us about your grandparents.

Paternal Grandfather
I never met my  Paternal Grandfather.  He died of cancer before my parents were even married.  He is highly revered among my extended family. I've seen pictures and movies and hear stories and it seems that he had a strong work ethic.  Their family business was Honey, they raised bees and prepared and sold the honey.  They lived on a large property with an orchard and fields.  I remember the fields being overgrown and tall - I don't remember if they grew something there.

Paternal Grandmother
My paternal grandmother was unusual. She piddled around a lot looking busy.  I remember the stuffed Pheasant that was kept next to her OLD floor tv model, and that we never used the front door.

I always wanted to investigate her house.  She has so much stuff. SO MUCH STUFF that smelled like moth balls!  There were 2 bedrooms.  1 Master that she kept locked - and another for the kids - it was LONG I think it kept 3-4 beds in a row plus all their stuff.

Grandma would always stand over us with a wash cloth washing our face while we ate yet, she would have to clear a 3 dimensional opening on her table for us to nestle our dish.  The table was always piled HIGH with books and papers.  Today I think she would be considered a hoarder.  Most of her house was overflowing with stuff, the sink was always full of dishes!  When we were younger she would buy us beautiful dolls and clothes and she always sent us stickers. I always loved going to Baskin Robins with her.  All of the best things about going to grandma's house were

  • playing in the orchard
  • the times when we got to use LONG sticks with cans on the ends to pick pecans or citrus
  • getting brave enough to explore the fields and sheds outside
  • SPRINGTIME when the edge of her front yard grew up thick with Narcissus
  • watching the little tiny oranges grow on her miniature orange tree and wishing we could eat them
  • eating them and remembering why we didn't eat them! (they were very sour)
She had throat cancer and it seemed AWFUL!  I think that she had breast cancer before that also.  I might have been 12 when she passed away.

Maternal Grandfather
My Maternal Grandfather is Italian and he had a really big nose.  I tried to name my baby Vincent after him, but it just wasn't working, so we had to change baby's name.  Sorry Grandpa.   I remember my Grandpa trying to teach us to eat spaghetti the right way.  I remember he made pizelles at Christmas with a real cookie iron.  Grandpa loved trains.  In his garage he had an impressive train set up on a high platform.  Under the platform he stored many things - but there was also a lot of open space.   After Grandpa died I made a secret hiding place in there.  I would go there and read - or just hang out.  There are lots of home movies of trains, my grandpa would run through fields to get video of them.  I think that he drove a train for a while.  I know that I have been told more stories and such about him but, I don't remember.  It is sad how fuzzy the memories become. 

Maternal Grandmother
My grandma was sweet and quiet.  I have heard rumors about her temper but only experienced it maybe once.  We lived with her for a while (6 months maybe?) and I still don't feel like I know her very well.  When I was 11-12-13 we lived in the same town.  For a short time we lived right down the street.  When I wrap my hair in a hair towel after a shower - I think of her - because I look sort of how she did when she wore a hair towel.  She often had a little bowl out with lemon drops and I remember a music box that played Somewhere My Love.  Grandma was able to be in my wedding.  That was lovely!  We were able to get a 3 generation picture.  If my sister Heather had been my baby and not my sister it could be a 4 generation picture.  She died a few years later - complications from diabetes I believe.  I would like to know what specifically.  It was winter when she died and the country was covered with storms so we weren't able to drive to the funeral.  I only regret that I wasn't there for my mom.  

I guess overall I didn't really have a good relationship with any of my Grandparents.  Between my shyness, and the distance between our homes and any lack of interest on their part - it just wasn't there.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers